Glinton lies just off the A15, 6 miles north of Peterborough. Dating from about 7000 years ago, there is evidence of Iron Age field systems, and excavations for the roundabout on the bypass just south of the village revealed the remains of a Romano-British farm complex. At the time of the Domesday Book Glinton land was mostly owned by Peterborough Abbey and its knights. By 1291, Glinton was one of the Abbey’s richest manors and traces of the medieval ridge and furrow field systems can still be seen immediately to the north of the village.
It is a pleasant community with some attractive cottages and imposing houses built from Barnack ragstone in the older conservation part of the village. A striking feature of this part of the village is the church of St Benedict with its graceful spire, a landmark for many miles around and the subject of a poem by the poet John Clare.
As a detached village separated from Peterborough’s urban development, Glinton has retained a range of self-supporting community based facilities.
These include the parish church, a village hall, a post office and village store, a modern health centre, a pharmacy, a public house with attached restaurant, extensive recreation areas, and a filling station with forecourt shop and fast food outlet close to the village on the A15 roundabout. Peakirk cum Glinton primary school, established on its present site in 1845, teaches 200 local children. Arthur Mellows Village College built in teaches around 1800 pupils from a large catchment area.